Wednesday, March 5, 2008

What Else Is There To Do?

Life is coming around to slap me on the back of the head in two months, and I'm not ready for it.  This is an obvious reaction to the end of college, I know, but who really is ready?  I'm ready to be done with school, to end this section of my life, but I don't know how to start the next.

I imagine walking down the street next week and running into someone who will offer me the perfect job, but I'm sure that when next week rolls around, I'll be in the same situation right now.

By the way, the perfect job, in case you didn't already figure it out, would be to get paid to read books for a ridiculously rich person that doesn't have the time to read.  You would read the classics, maybe some new novels, eventually make your way through all of Shakespeare.  Obviously, rich people are extremely busy being rich, but they must stay on top of the intellectual circle.  Therefore, I would be their surrogate eyes, and simply fill them in on all the important details at an established time once a week.  Perfect.  Conversations with friends would go something like this:

"Have you read any good books lately?"  I ask, sincerely.
"No," he/she replies, "I haven't the time to read for pleasure/leisure anymore."
"Oh, how horrible," I say, truly sympathizing with them.  And then I would add, for good measure, "Would you like me to read for you?"

Obviously, my perfect job scenario extends far into the fantastical depths of my mind.  I've just  always had a desire to continue learning even after I may become a "teacher"; I don't want to become stagnant or cynical as I grow older.  It seems to me that reading books may be one of the few remaining remedies for this.

No comments: