Friday, March 14, 2008

To Build A Home

Over the past week, the one thing I have thought about more than any other is home.

I have been listening to a song by The Cinematic Orchestra and Patrick Watson called "To Build a Home" at least three times a day for the last few days.  It is an amazing song.

Although a soft bed with fresh sheets can be comfortable, there are things in this world, instances and ideas that can provide just as much comfort as the feeling a clean bed can.  Certain songs give me this intangible comfort, and To Build A Home is one of those.  Even though it isn't real, and I can't hold it in my hands, I can let this song surround me.

One of my friends once said that whenever she heard a song called "Deliver Me", it made her feel safe.  I kind of mocked her for this, but it was before I had heard "To Build A Home" and felt safe myself.

I had the pleasure of introducing this song to several of my friends tonight.  We turned off the lights in my apartment, laid down on the couches, and just listened for six minutes.  The words about home filled the air, mixed together with the sweeping piano and beautiful string melodies.  And even though I will be at my house in four days, I was home tonight.

I've been thinking a lot about home lately.

No comments: