Sunday, March 9, 2008

Reppin' and Preppin'

I've decided that if I want to increase the amount of enjoyment I experience at work, I need to try and laugh more.  This has proved to be very easy, because the people I work with do funny things.  They don't walk around making faces or cracking jokes all day long, it's just the things that they say and do normally that make me laugh.

Examples:
One girl gave a manager a prolonged back rub while he was standing at a computer station.  Funny because I thought about how awkward it would have been if I was in that situation, on either end.
Another coworker referred to Ellen DeGeneres as Ellen Degenerate after quoting her favorite lines from Finding Nemo.  Funny because she thought it was funny.
So many people are sick at work on Saturdays and Sundays because of hangovers.  Funny because I don't have to worry about it, and they bring it on themselves.

But I've found the best way to make myself laugh is to try and always say something positive when coworkers are being negative or trying to include me in gossip or degrading jokes.  Even though I'm being positive and encouraging, it often leaves the other people confused.  Most of the time they just don't expect that response.  I don't want to make it seem as if I think I'm above them in anyway, and so I think I need to find a happy medium between encouragement and sympathy.  The whole thing is just so funny to me.  I love work experiments.

Also, I've been preparing for life after college.  This should be the beginning of a running update.  I'll keep you posted as everything starts to fall into place.  Anyways, I sent an e-mail to an apartment complex nearby about their studios or one bedrooms.  I'm still looking around for someone planning on staying in the area for the summer, and maybe I could bum around with them.  Who knows.  Also, I might get a TV.  Nice.

No comments: